Thursday, August 5, 2010

To be a Latino man in America.

To be a Latino man in America feel burdened by responsibilities. First of all, there's the American prejudice characterizing all Latino men as armed and dangerous. If I choose to shave my head people assume it's a statement rather than a haircut. So it's not just a financial burned but a social burned to deal with.
For example: years ago my father-in law from Texas informed my ex-wife that all the "Mexicans carried guns and knives".
The good part about being a Latino man is the opportunity to came to this beautiful country, because if I'd been female I have been too afraid to risk leaving home as 2 of my sisters never did.
To be a man is to carry a lot of responsibility. I feel it's necessary to support my parents and family left in Mexico.
To be a man I feel free to travel throughout the world, as long as I can afford it.
To be a man I have to respect women. All my teachers except for one have been female. A lot of my closest friends are women. I feel more harmony with women for many of their good qualities such as honesty.
But my appearance often intimidates women, until they know me. When I reincarnate I'd like to be able to have the same experience as a man because of the hardships I've seen women face without Equal rights.
Women suffer too much abuse physically, mentally and emotionally. So I hope in the future the world will change and every country in the world men and women will have the same rights and opportunities.

2 comments:

  1. This is an excellent, thoughtful post, Sergio. I think it is one of the best ones you've written. (It is obvious you began to feel passionate as you wrote it -- you can see how much that passion helps you to write, right?)
    The part about haircuts is very interesting. I guess the same would be true for tatoos and piercings, right? They might be viewed as more threatening and less as fashion statements on certain people.
    Just a few things to change -
    burned - burden (2 times!)
    that "all Mexicans carry guns and knives."
    home, like my two sisters who never did.
    qualities such as honesty.....x, and x.
    until they get to know me
    and in every

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking for the final assignment and not seeing it.....
    But anyway, It looks like the GED test is offered frequently at RTC.
    Please take it and see how you do.... then you know exactly what you need to work on. GOOD LUCK with that!

    ReplyDelete